At Starwood, Global Citizenship provides our guests, customers, communities, owners, and associates a better way to experience the world. We enlist our global network of hotels, our world-renowned brands, and our dedicated associates in implementing our Global Citizenship initiatives to ensure our environmental and social standards are consistently upheld. We recognize that the most effective initiatives are those that are economically viable, exceed our guests’ expectations and make our associates feel proud to work for Starwood.
"At Starwood, Global Citizenship is about being part of something bigger than ourselves or our company; it strengthens our pride in our work and the work of our colleagues, reinforces our culture, protects our company and strengthens our communities. Starwood’s dedicated associates around the world give back to their communities, assist each other in times of need and make decisions that protect our environment and the ongoing success of our company. Together, working across brands, we accomplish more than we ever could alone."
— Ken Siegel, Chief Admin Officer and General Counsel
Since 2009, Global Citizenship has become a cornerstone of our business, strengthening our resilience in an age of continuous global change. Today, our efforts address critical issues such as human rights, climate change, conservation, and community development. We have set bold goals and made great progress in areas such as energy, water and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, while laying the foundation in new areas such as our supply chain. Throughout our organization we provide resources and support to implement our Global Citizenship strategy of creating a better world to experience.
- Global ban of shark fin at all Starwood properties by 2015
- $5.7M+ USD donated to charity in 2015
- $775,500+ USD raised for the Starwood Associate Relief Fund in 2015
- 12% reduction from 2008 in energy (kBtu/built room)
- 17% reduction from 2008 in water (cubic meters/built room)
- 16% reduction from 2008 in carbon emissions
- 6.7M+ guests participated in Make A Green Choice, saving 297M+ gallons of water and 1.2M+ kWh of electricity from 2009 – 2015